In order to process your booking, Oasis Overland needs to collect certain personal details from you. These details will usually include the names and addresses of party members, credit/debit or other payment details and special requirements such as those relating to any medical condition that may affect your trip with us. We take full responsibility for ensuring that proper security measures are in place to protect your information.
We must pass some information on to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements (hotels, transport companies etc.). Such suppliers are outside UK/Europe. The information may also be provided to security or credit checking companies, public authorities such as customs/immigration if required by them, or as required by law.
Except where expressly permitted by the Data Protection Act 1998, Oasis Overland will only deal with the personal details you give to Oasis Overland as set out above unless you agree otherwise. We may make contact with you or members of your holiday party by post, e-mail, or telephone for the purposes set out. We will also use your information to inform you of offers in the future or to send you brochures. If you do not wish to receive such approaches in the future then please let us know as soon as possible by telephone, letter or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org If we do contact you by e-mail about our new brochures or special offers, you will also be able to unsubscribe yourself from our database at this time. Oasis Overland will assume that you do not object to being communicated with unless you have previously opted out or contacted us. We have the appropriate security measures in place to protect your confidential information.
You are entitled to a copy of your information held by us. If you would like to see this please contact us.
1. Introduction & General Terms
- what information Oasis Overland may collect about you;
- how Oasis Overland will use information we collect about you;
- when Oasis Overland may use your details to contact you;
- whether Oasis Overland will disclose your details to anyone else;
- your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us;
2. Who are we?
Oasis Overland is a an overland adventure travel company based in Henstridge, Somerset, United Kingdom.
3. What information will Oasis Overland collect about me?
When you participate in, access or sign up to any of Oasis Overlands services, activities or online content, such as newsletters, competitions, online voting, or telephone or text Oasis Overland we may receive personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth, depending on the activity. By submitting your details, you enable Oasis Overland (and where applicable its contractors) to provide you with the services, activities or online content you select. Please note that sometimes we will require you to provide additional personal information (e.g. if you are sending in a photograph or blog, or if you are entering a competition). When we do this we will provide further information as to why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
4. How will Oasis Overland use the information it collects about me?
Oasis Overland will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- to provide our services, activities or online content and to deal with your requests and enquiries;
- for "service administration purposes", which means that Oasis Overland may contact you for reasons related to the service, activity or online content you have - signed up for, as set out in section 5 below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service, activity or online content has been suspended for maintenance)
- to contact you about a submission you have made, including any content you provide;
- to provide you with information about our services, activities or online content;
- to use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use, or to establish the number of visits;
- to analyse and improve the services offered on our website;
- to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. Oasis Overland may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
Where Oasis Overland proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for the use of your personal information for purposes other than those listed above.
5. When will Oasis Overland contact me?
Oasis Overland may contact you:
- in relation to any service, activity or online content you have signed up for in order to ensure that Oasis Overland can deliver the services to you;
- in relation to any correspondence we receive from you or any comment or complaint you make about our products or services;
- in relation to any contribution you have submitted to Oasis Overland, e.g. on Oasis Overland message boards or via text or voicemail message;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about Oasis Overland services (participation is always voluntary).
6. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
Oasis Overland will only use your information for marketing purposes, or to promote new services, activities or online content where you have agreed to this.
7. Will Oasis Overland share my personal information with anyone else?
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in section 8 below. Generally, we will only use your information within Oasis Overland. However, sometimes Oasis Overland uses third parties (such as our web developers) to process your information on our behalf. Oasis Overland requires these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and Oasis Overland requires that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes, unless you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.
8. Offensive or inappropriate content on our website
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on our website, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any element of our online presence, Oasis Overland may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where Oasis Overland reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any applicable laws (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), Oasis Overland may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school email/internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
9. What if I am a user aged 18 or under?
If you are aged 18 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to Oasis Overland. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
10. How long will Oasis Overland keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. If you unsubscribe your account is deleted. CHECK THIS
Where you contribute material to Oasis Overland we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted.
11. Can I find out what personal information Oasis Overland holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information Oasis Overland holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved identification). We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
12. Cookies Policy - Information Oasis Overland collects from you
a. What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer, tablet or mobile phone (referred to here as a "device") browser from a website's computer and is stored on your device's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other websites. Many websites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
On our website, cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor our websites to your interests.
Information supplied by cookies can help us to analyse the profile of our visitors and help us to provide you with a better user experience. For example, if on a previous visit you went to our Community Links page, we might find this out from your cookie and highlight community information on your second and subsequent visits. All third parties are strictly required not to use any information for their own business or other purposes.
c. Third Party Cookies in embedded content on Oasis Overland pages
Please note that during your visits to our website you may notice some cookies that are not related to Oasis Overland. If you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube or Flickr, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. Oasis Overland does not control the dissemination of these cookies. You should check the third party websites for more information about these.
d. How to reject cookies
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies which are set on your device then you can do this through your browser settings; the Help function within your browser should tell you how. Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers.
It is important to note that if you change your settings and block certain cookies, this means that certain personalised features cannot then be provided and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the websites features.
Last updated: June 2012